1. It holds on drives up to 2 TB for a sector size of 512 bytes and 16 TB for a sector size of 4,096 bytes (PS: Microsoft Windows 2000 only supports creating FAT32 partitions up to a size of 32 GB).
2. It uses small clusters (that is, 4-KB clusters for drives up to 8 GB in size).
3. It can remove the root folder and use the backup copy of the file allocation table instead of the default copy.
4. The root folder on a FAT32 drive is an ordinary cluster chain, so it can be put anywhere on the drive. And the previous defects on the number of root folder entries do not exist any more.
For detailed information, please visit – Description of the FAT32 File System.
Nowadays, the FAT32 file system has gradually been replaced by NTFS, but the FAT32 partition can still be seen in some old Windows operation systems. What’s more, many Windows 7 users are also faced up with many problems when handling with this kind of partition. For example, Windows 7 built-in disk management utility (“DM” for short) can not increase FAT32 partition size. Then how can users get out of this problem?
The window below displays the main interface of DM. Choose the FAT32 partition and right click on it. Then you will find that the “Extend Volume…” and “Shrink Volume…” features in the shortcut menu are grayed out.
If users want to extend FAT32 partition, powerful partition mmanager like MiniTool Partition Wizard should be adopted.
Please download it at the download center. Then install the freeware into your computer.
Run the software to get the main interface.
All disk and partitions are listed in this interface.
1. User should select desired partition and click “Extend Partition” to go to the next interface.
2. Expand the target partition by borrowing free space from other partition on the same disk and drag sliding handle to the desired value. Then click “OK” to go back to the main interface.
3. Click “Apply” to perform all pending operations.
If users also want to increase FAT32 partition size in Windows, MiniTool Partition Wizard will be the best helper.